ITT – Literature in English helps to develop perspectives and analysis, along with creativity in writing. The subject is also an essential foundation for other subjects such as Psychology, Sociology, History and Geography.
Studying Literature in English consisting of knowledge from the basic to the advanced levels is divided into two main sections:
- Language A (Literature): Focus on the analysis of literary works such as poetry, novels, short stories, fiction, and world literature works which are translated into English. Students will develop their writing styles as well as their literary perspectives.
- Language A (Language & Literature): Analyze literary works and along with linguistic uses such as sentences, words, spellings, expressions in speaking and writing. Students will improve their writing and speaking skills in communication, enrich their vocabulary, learn how to use grammar, punctuation, and pronunciation appropriately.
Studying Literature in English is challenging, because:
- The subject requires students to have an extensive English vocabulary to comprehend a variety of literature works. Inadequate vocabulary causes students many difficulties in reading comprehension and analyzing of literature works.
- In addition to having ample vocabulary, students must equip themselves with specialized Literature terms to prepare for literary essays and theses.
- Studying Literature in English is completely different from the Vietnamese Literature. Teachers do not instruct students rigidly or give sample analysis of literature works that students should follow to obtain high scores. Students are encouraged to read and analyze literature works based completely on their reading comprehension, mindsets and perspectives.
- Literature works are very diverse, including memoirs, epics, funny stories, short stories or comic books. Students are allowed to choose their own works for analysis. However, without orientation, it will be difficult for students to come up with ideas for the writing and how to develop their own thoughts.
Therefore, students should have an appropriate method to study Literature in English:
- Students need a brief overview of the works by means of summaries or excerpts before reading to have a multidimensional view of things, phenomena, people, or other issues that affect the main events in the works.
- Students need to stick to the overall topics, make personal statements, link ideas together following the core of the works, and use the argumenta in the analysis of the works.
- It will be easier for students to sense the ideas when starting analyzing from short stories before reaching long and highly philosophical works.
Now, Intertu Education is enrolling potential students for Literature courses in English and International Literature programs. For inquiries and registration, please contact us directly or via email or hotline.Enroll Course